Monday, May 4, 2009

A Rare Phenomenon


April 23, 2009:
Just after lunch I happened to look out my patio door, where brilliant light and colors caught my eye. Two small clouds were glowing with the colors of a rainbow in a mostly sunny sky. It is a rare optical phenomenon known as a Circumhorizontal Arc, also known as a Fire Cloud. I thought I'd share one of the pictures I took.

The photo also shows a contrail that wasn't there seconds before.
I took several photos and that particular photo was in the middle of other photos. I never saw or heard a jet and didn't notice the contrail until after I downloaded the photos to my computer. It's the only photo in which the contrail shows up.


For more info on Circumhorizontal Arc:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumhorizontal_arc

No comments:

Post a Comment

LITS is a site dedicated to the study of the UFO and alien phenomena. You'll find information about UFO sightings, alien abductions, astronomy, science and technology.

This is a Non-profit site. Comments that contain URLs will be deleted.

I do not edit comments, so if you don't want your address posted and you have a question, or have had a sighting you wish to report, please email me directly, rather than post a comment. My email addresses are listed on the "Report UFO Sightings" page. Thank you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...